There’s nothing like getting excited for a great vacation. The anticipation mounts as you visit web sites featuring exotic destinations, book a round of 18 holes on the links, or clock out of work for the last time before your trip.
One of our favorite pre-travel activities is packing our bags. It can actually be a lot of phone stuffing items into your suitcase and imagining how fun it will be when you get to use them (think bikini for the beach, cocktail dress for a romantic night on the town, etc.).
However, in the midst of packing all the necessities, we sometimes forget items that we love to have at home, or that just plain come in handy. It’s not until we’re on the plane or in our hotel room that we realize too late we forgot something we could have really used.
Here are 5 items you should pack for every trip.
- Gourmet coffee. Have you ever tried the bland, generic coffee that some hotels supply their rooms with? Yuck. A vacation is incomplete without a solid cup of Joe. that’s why we recommend bringing your own gourmet coffee from home. Melaleuca.com just came out with a new line of premium coffee that’s fairly sourced and small-batch roasted.
- Comfortable shoes. Sure, you want the flip-flops for the beach and pumps for the dinner and dancing, but travel usually requires a lot of walking. Whether you’re hiking in the mountains or trudging from your airline gate to the taxi, your feet are going to get a work out. Skip the fashionable footwear and bring some really comfortable athletic shoes. Your feet will thank you.
- Surge protector/power strip. You’d be surprised how few power outlets there are in some hotel rooms. Cruise ship cabins are even worse. Nowadays, we have a plethora of gadgets to charge, and you’ll be glad you brought the extra plug space.
- Sunglasses. All that travel can give you a headache, and bright lights hurting your eyes only make the tension worse. Invest in a nice pair of shades.
- Ziploc baggies. Bring a dozen or so, and you’ll be surprised how often you’ll be reaching for one. They come in super handy.
- Baby wipes. Trust us.